Monday, March 5, 2012

The Writing Process

Most people have talent and they use it on command.  My creative writing process is more like a talent that uses me on command.  It goes something like this:

I watch something, see something, read something that makes a few synapses fire at the time but nothing too exciting.  Then a few hours later I lay down and try to sleep.  At which point the synapses decide that this is a fine time to set up shop and go to town.  They zip back and forth creating images and scenarios and ideas.  It's like a country road suddenly flooded with L.A. traffic.  There's no where to go and it needs an outlet somewhere so instead of sleeping I slowly reach critical mass until there's no way sleep can happen.  So I build my own off ramp.  I write until the idea has run itself out.  Sometimes it's an entire short story but most of the time it's a scene or a snapshot.   I check the traffic report.  The new exit has allowed traffic to die down  but it's still pretty busy, I'm already writing and if I try to sleep now I'll get nowhere quickly.  So I write some more.  I write until we're back down to a few stray cars rumbling down the streets at respectable speeds.  I close the ramp and my computer and allow the Sunday traffic to roll through town softly lulling me into sleep.

It's nearly 2am on a work night and all I want to do right now is sleep... doesn't look like it's in the cards for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment